Sunday, March 25, 2007

So Many Expansion Teams, So Little Resources

My quest has now officially begun . . . to see the Ottawa Senators play as many different teams in as many different venues as I can. Last Saturday I saw them play (and beat) the Flyers in Ottawa for the second year in a row. Tonight I got to see them destroy (in Tampa) the Tampa Bay Lightning.

7-2 - damn it was fun! Thanks must go to Duke and company for getting the tickets and being there to support the team (although the four of us know there were only two true Senators fans amongst us). It was an interesting experience to be the guy booing the home team. And I got to meet several Sens fans tonight, most of who actually live in Tampa Bay after moving from Ottawa. Weird.

Sadly, I have no plans to see the Senators play again this season (though I will never, ever turn down free tickets to play-off hockey – hint hint).

As for the future of my quest, I am currently on a limited budget which means if I do not start earning a lot more money in social services soon (insert canned laughter here) I will be quite limited to the number of places I’ll actually get to go see the Sens play. Realistically, I do have a few match-ups in mind for the near future:

The Philadelphia Flyers may get crossed off my list sooner than later due to the (newly named) Aduchan 2006 + Classic. My buddy Bri and I have seen Ottawa and Philly play twice in Ottawa and hope to continue our own fantasy “best-of seven” series next year in the city of broken bells and AIDS flicks.

The Buffalo Sabres and Montreal Canadiens are also potentially do-able destinations. Both teams play relatively close to me and Montreal is truthfully the best city I have ever been to and therefore a desirable place for me to go and watch hockey. As for Buffalo, it sure does have an airport, doesn’t it?

The Atlanta Thrashers could easily find my sorry ass sitting in their stadium in the next couple of years. I worry about this venue however, as it will be tough for me to cheer above the ten Thrashers fans who might actually attend the game.

Finally, I am confident that I will head to New Jersey to see a Devils/Sens game. Tomb Dragomir is a huge fan (and I used to be too) so I know the two of us will head there someday. It’s a fact. I wish I had a joke to insert here, but there is truly nothing funnier than the thought of the Devils beating the Senators. This is also a fact.

For the record, I do happen to live about a 20 minute (on a bad day – and where the TTC is concerned they are all bad days) TTC ride away from the Air Canada Centre. I remain unconfident that I will actually get to see a game there. Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment care more about money than they do about hockey fans. Besides, even if I did have the $160 + to spend on 3 hours of entertainment for my girlfriend and me, I hear there are hookers who offer much more for less . . .

P.S. – I paid $7.50 for an assumed 20 ounces of Budweiser at the Tampa Bay game tonight. I guess the term “paying out of your ass” has no conversion rate.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are welcome to come next year and sit with the ten Thrasher fans in Phillips arena. We can get you some pretty sweet tickets thanks to Ed's sister. Last year they had "specials" running over Christmas time for Thrasher and Hawks tickets to try and get people to go to the games. Go figure....this just isn't hockey town!

April 19, 2007 7:52 p.m.  
Blogger M'Adair said...

I plan on visiting in the fall to see my niece - maybe I'll get to see a game too. Thanks for the offer!

April 20, 2007 2:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Free Hit Counter