Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Hungry?

Jen and I were looking into donating our leftover food from our moving extravaganza when I discovered the Daily Bread Food Bank website. I was amazed by the number of people who access food banks in Toronto on a monthly basis. Check out their website at:

http://www.dailybread.ca/

I also came across some statistics regarding people with disabilities in Ontario and their usage of food banks. Aside from being a writer, a drinker and an all-around asshole, I work with people who have intellectual disabilities and I know that they experience poverty more than the average person does. Click here to read what I read.


For the readers out there who are not from Ontario or Toronto, I recommend you do a quick search to see what food bank services are offered in your area. You might be surprised to see who is going hungry in your city tonight.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know that Gainesville, GA is the seventh fastest growing city IN THE WHOLE US of A?! We are a small city who is also coping very much with "hunger" issues. And of course along with that you can't forget the health care issues that we face because of privatized health care. But I am actually glad to find out that there are MANY options for children - both in terms of health care and food so at least the kids are getting fed (and when you reach 18 you are SOL...at least jail has three square meals a day....hmmmm...something is wrong with that picture!) And I am still trying to figure out where all of the people with disabilities are.......

September 28, 2005 8:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Free Hit Counter